The First Church Nursery School director is retiring after decades of service. We are currently looking for a new director.
Position: Director, First Church Nursery School
First Church Nursery School provides quality education in a nurturing, loving and caring environment for the children of the North Shore community. The philosophy that drives our classroom culture, design and curriculum is an understanding that young children learn best by doing. Play is the “work” of children. As they interact with classroom materials, nature, other children and adults, they begin to make sense of their world and build confidence in their own abilities. The long-tenure of our staff together with longstanding relationships with families, some spanning generations, contribute to an culture of family, support, and deep caring for everyone involved in our community.
We have eight teaching staff and approximately 60 children ages 20 months to five years old enrolled every school year. There are also up to two interns throughout the school year from the North Shore Community College. This position is approximately 25-30 hours a week.
The First Church Nursery School is a mission of The First Church in Swampscott, Congregational church. It operates day-to-day as a largely independent organization. The Director of the First Church Nursery School is a member of the Church’s professional staff and reports directly to the Senior Pastor. The Director will meet as often as monthly with the Senior Pastor and Treasurer (or a delegate of the church council) to review ongoing operations, policies, salaries, finances and other issues as needed.
The focus of the Director is the caring for, teaching, and nurturing of children
Manage day-to-day activities at the school
- Ensure that all certifications and accreditations for the school are met in a timely manner
- Oversee the facilities; ensure all areas are clean, well maintained, attractive and warm
- Manage the budgeting and finances of the school and ensure that invoices and payments are managed appropriately
- Hire, train, and evaluate teachers
- Supervise the staff; address personal concerns, training, professionalism, performance and growth
- Support the staff in their roles and concerns
- Supervise an intern program with North Shore Community College
- Handles the tours of the facilities for prospective students and parents
- Develop and enhance the community of the school, including staff, parents, and children
- Interact with and reach out to current and prospective parents and families, with a focus on retention
- Ensure the school is as fully populated as possible in all classrooms all days of the week through marketing, advertising, outreach, and networking
- Work with the Parent Advisory Board to organize several fundraisers throughout the year
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood education
- Advanced degree or experience in early childhood education
- Advanced training in early childhood education administration
- Completed coursework in child development, teaching strategies for young learners, staff management, and/or school administration
- Experience working as a preschool or early education teacher
- Excellent organizational skills
- Budgeting and money management experience
- Proven planning abilities
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to uphold current culture of the school
- Supportive and collaborative in nature
If interested please email your resume to Cathy Vaucher at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Nursery School Director” in the subject line.