Being a Beacon
The First Church places high value on missions, and has a deep commitment to outreach, serving, engagement, and active involvement in our community, country, and world. A small sampling of the ways we plug in are listed below.
- Local Food Pantry
- Council on Aging -International Food Pantry
- Swampscott Interfaith Clergy Association
- International Food Fair supporting Habitat for Humanity
- Essex County Community Organization (ECCO)
- Swampscott Unites, Respects, Embraces diversity (S.U.R.E. Swampscott)
- Weekly AA and Al-Anon meetings
- Business Network
- Polling Location, Swampscott Precincts 3/4
- Soli Deo Gloria (classical concerts during the year)
- Music on the Terrace (contemporary concerts during summer)
- Fox Trot (for Parkinson’s research and treatment)
We have participated in a number of mission trips, both domestic and international. Over the past 10 years, church members, friends, and community members have traveled to Mississippi, Louisiana, Maine, West Virginia, as well as Guatemala and Nicaragua. The pictures below are from several trips to Biloxi and Gulfport, Mississippi in the years following Hurricane Katrina (2006-2011), and the images above are from a May 2016 trip to McDowell County, West Virginia.